Craig W. Mueller
T: (303) 333-5438
M: (303) 917-4282
- Intellectual Property
- The United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- University of Denver, JD, 2003
- Georgia Institute of Technology, M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, 1994
- University of Illinois, B.S. in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, 1993
- Lockheed Martin Space Systems
Large Law Firm Experience
- Sheridan Ross PC
- Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP
Craig’s practice primarily focuses on preparing and prosecuting patent applications in the mechanical, software, electrical, electro-mechanical, and civil areas of technology. His practice also includes advising clients on various intellectual property protection strategies; drafting and prosecuting design patent applications; protecting foreign intellectual property rights; drafting patentability, freedom to operate, and invalidity opinions; analyzing domestic and foreign patent rights; performing and supervising patent-related searches; preparing and prosecuting trademark and copyright applications; and drafting technology-related agreements.
Before beginning his legal career, Craig was a senior engineer at Lockheed Martin Space Systems of Denver, Colorado; initially, on the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle systems engineering team, then as the designer of the Atlas V launch vehicle liquid oxygen and RP1 feed systems. In this latter role, he performed mechanical design, structural analysis, and supervised pre-launch testing of various Atlas V propulsion system components. Before entering the private sector, Craig was a research assistant at Georgia Tech’s Aerospace Systems Design Lab where he led a NASA-sponsored design team that studied the next-generation High-Speed Civil Transport. Craig also has real-world engineering experience in the civil and electrical engineering arenas.
Presentations & Teaching Experience
- “Design Patents 101,” American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association’s 2019 Design Rights Boot Camp, Chicago, IL.
- “Design Patents 101,” American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association’s 2018 Design Rights Boot Camp, Washington, DC.
- “A Seat in the Gallery: A look at the players and alliances in three upcoming patent cases before Supreme Court,” Rocky Mountain IP Institute 2014.
- “Patent Prosecution: Insights and Updates.” CLE International Presentation. 2013.
- “AIA Odds and Ends,” CLE International Presentation. 2012.
- “Claims with Precise Numerical Values – A Cautionary Tale,” IP & Technology Law BLOG, June 6, 2019
- “Preserving Patent Rights on a Global Stage: Foreign Filing Options and How to Successfully Navigate Novelty Requirements,” IP & Technology Law BLOG, Jan 17, 2019.
- “America Invents Act: Next Elements Ready to Take Effect,” Law Week Colorado, Aug 20, 2012.
- “U.S. Patent Reform 2011,” Law Week Colorado, Oct 3, 2011.
- “A Fresh Perspective on Design Patents,” The Colorado Lawyer, July 2009.
- Super Lawyers (Colorado) 2017-2020