T: (770) 722-7404
F: (877) 292-7876
- Intellectual Property
- Litigation – Appellate
- Litigation – Civil Pretrial and Trial Services
- Litigation & Risk Management
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Howard University School of Law, J.D., Cum Laude
- Florida A&M University ; B.S., Business Administration
Large Law Firm Experience:
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Carlton Fields LLP
- Aptean, Vice President and General Counsel
Mr. Thompson is a seasoned business litigator with over 20 years of experience representing and advising corporate, government, non-profit, entertainment and individual clients in a variety of practice areas, including complex commercial disputes, technology and intellectual property matters, franchising/licensing disputes, employment practices, tort and products liability and medical malpractice. He regularly appears in federal and state courts and handles mediations and arbitrations throughout the country.
Before FisherBroyles, Mr. Thompson was General Counsel of a global software solutions provider with over 9000 customers in over 100 countries, advising its executive leadership team regarding litigation, corporate governance, intellectual property, employment practices and general corporate matters, and previously served as its Chief Litigation Counsel managing the company’s global litigation activity. Mr. Thompson was also Of Counsel with Carlton Fields LLP in the Business Litigation & Trade Regulation, Franchise & Distribution, and Products & Toxic Tort Liability practice groups. He has also been a Senior Associate with Troutman Sanders LLP in the Complex Litigation and Torts/Products Liability practice groups. Mr. Thompson began his legal career as a Judge Advocate in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, where he represented the Department of the Army in legal proceedings before the Merit Systems Protection Board and Equal Opportunity Commission, and advised senior military commanders regarding employment and personnel matters, tort liability and risk management issues and labor/employment disputes.
During his career, Mr. Thompson has achieved numerous significant legal results on behalf of his clients, including:
- Obtaining a complete defense verdict on behalf of a pediatric medical practice against claims of employment discrimination brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Obtaining a defense verdict on behalf of an industrial products manufacturer in a breach of contract dispute in federal court in Louisiana.
- Successfully represented national restaurant and hospitality franchisors in numerous breach of contract and intellectual property infringement disputes throughout the country.
- Successfully represented prominent movie and television producers in breach of contract and intellectual property disputes.
Community & Civic Involvement (Past & Present)
- Remerge, Inc. (Vice Chair, Board of Directors)
- Nockamixon Impact Development (Advisory Board)
- Atlanta Business League (General Counsel)
- Atlanta Legal Diversity Consortium (Board of Directors)
- Atlanta Bar CLE Board of Trustees (Chair)
- Atlanta Bar Association Judicial Selection & Tenure Committee (Member)
- Joseph H. Lumpkin American Inn of Court (Barrister)
- Georgia Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- National Black Lawyers Top 100
- Who’s Who in Black Atlanta
Presentations & Teaching Experience
- American Institute for Managing Diversity’s Management Series for Law Firm Leaders, Panelist, September 2008
- State Bar of Georgia 16th Annual Diversity CLE & Luncheon, Panelist, September 2008
- CLE by the Hour, Seminar Chair, Atlanta Bar Association, 2004-2007
- An Avian Flu Pandemic: How a Public Health Emergency Might Affect the Law, Commerce and Society, Planning Committee, Atlanta Bar Association, November 2006
- Diversity & CLE, Seminar Co-chair and Moderator, Atlanta Bar Association, May 2005
- Discovery: Extracting the Good Stuff, Presenter, Atlanta Bar CLE Series, October 2004; Atlanta Bar CLE by the Hour, December 2004
- Electromagnetic Field and Cell Phone Litigation, Presenter, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, November 2003
- Adjunct Instructor, Constitutional Law, Upper Iowa University, Fort Riley, Kansas, 1997
- Kenneth Thompson, Jr., Author, Managing Risk with Litigation Alternatives, Atlanta Tribune Magazine (March 2007)
- Kenneth Thompson, Jr., Author, Protecting Against Software Piracy Police, Atlanta Tribune Magazine (December 2006)
- Kenneth Thompson, Jr., Contributing Author, Trial Tactics Defense Litigation Manual, Defense Research Institute (August 2006)
- Kenneth Thompson, Jr., Author, Franchising: The New Entrepreneurship, Atlanta Tribune Magazine (December 2005)